Thursday roundup

Headlines.

  • Judge orders a mulligan in the 5th State House district.

    Judge A. Susan Peck decided Wednesday afternoon to open the sealed ballot of an elderly Windsor woman initially thought to be deceased after weighing her right to privacy and her right to have her vote counted in the tied 5th Assembly District race.

    The ballot could have decided the Democratic nomination, which was tied between candidates Leo Canty and Brandon McGee. A third candidate, Windsor Mayor Donald Trinks, also was on the primary ballot, but he came in a distant third to Canty and McGee.

    After deciding the woman, whose name was published by the Journal Inquirer, had a right to have her vote counted, Peck opened the envelope as those in the court gallery waited on the edge of their seats for the result.

    Peck smiled as she looked at the ballot and then called the attorneys up to the bench to inspect it.

    As Attorney William Sweeney turned to walk back to his seat, he quietly said "Trinks!" and the gallery erupted in laughter. The race was tied yet again.

    "This is comparable to Geraldo Rivera opening Al Capone's safe," he quipped.

    The election officially ended in a tie. Having exhausted all of the possibilities, Peck ordered a re-vote of the 5th Assembly District. The new election will be held Oct. 2.

  • I guess Linda McSham can't count on this person voting for her.

    As the two candidates for U.S. Senate spar over who was more irresponsible with their personal finances, new bankruptcy documents have emerged detailing the roughly $1 million Republican Linda McMahon and her husband, Vince, owed to more than two dozen creditors.

    And at least one of those -- a 96-year-old former ad man reached by Hearst Newspapers Wednesday -- is still smarting over the $4,100 he was never paid for advertising and public relations work.

    "It didn't end well," said Gerard Langeler, a former Woodbridge resident living in New Hampshire. "I did my best to forget it."

  • CT Dems files FEC complaint against Roraback, Obsitnik

    The state Democratic Party is asking the Federal Election Commission to investigate whether congressional candidates Andrew Roraback and Steve Obsitnik violated federal campaign finance regulations when they held a joint fundraiser earlier this week.

    The fundraiser in question was a cocktail reception that was held Tuesday at a home in Darien. The suggested contribution was $500.

    Roraback and Obsitnik are Republicans. Roraback is running against Democrat Elizabeth Esty in the 5th Congressional District, while Obsitnik is running in the 4th Congressional District against incumbent Jim Himes, a Democrat.

    In her letter to the Federal Election Commission, Democratic Party Chairwoman Nancy DiNardo wrote that the reception appeared to be a fundraiser for both Roraback and Obsitnik, but the inviation didn't make it clear how contributions were to be allocated. It didn't say that donors could earmark their contributions, or that the money would be reallocated if a donor maxed out the donation to one committee, she said.

    DiNardo also said records do not indicate that either campaign committee created a joint fundraising committee for the purpose of undertaking the event.

    These details are required under Federal Election Commission regulations, DiNardo said, adding that she believes each candidate committee tried to hide the joint nature of the fundraiser by sending out subsequent invitations that did not include a reference to the other candidate.

  • Krayeske can't be happy about this...

    Jim Calhoun isn't going to stomp the sidelines at any more UConn games, but he will continue to be paid as if he were among the highest-paid basketball coaches in the nation. In fact, he will earn more not to coach the Huskies this season than he did to coach them last season.

    Calhoun, who announced his retirement last week after 26 seasons at UConn, is guaranteed at least $2,742,307 of the $3 million that he was scheduled to receive between July 1, 2012, and June 30, 2013, in the fourth year of a five-year, $13 million contract that he signed in 2010. Calhoun made $2.7 million in Year 3.

    If Calhoun elects to take a final $1 million retirement payment by the March 15, 2013 deadline, the total compensation rises to about $3.75 million.

  • The pro-Chris Murphy Super PAc takes aim at Linda McSham and the WWE in a new ad.

Go to CT State Page
origin Blog: 
origin Author: 
Comments Count: 
0
Showing 0 comments